Press Releases/News

< Back to news items


November 9, 2017

For Immediate Release

Newport News, Virginia


A Newport News jury found a local man guilty of two rapes, abduction, strangulation, and unlawful wounding on Tuesday and recommended he serve three life sentences for the brutal attack.

Charles Randolph Jackson, 44, was arrested on June 30, 2016, for abducting a Gloucester woman, raping her repeatedly, strangling, and beating her. The woman, who is not being identified because she is the victim of a sexual assault, met Jackson earlier in that day and spent some time with him and others she knew at a house near downtown Newport News.

Near dusk, the woman had argued with another person at the house and left with Jackson after he told her that she could use the phone at his home to call for a ride. Jackson then took the woman to a vacant house a few blocks away where he had been sleeping. Once inside the house, the woman realized there was no electricity and tried to escape but Jackson began punching her in the head and refused to let her leave.

He forced her upstairs and ordered her to take her clothes off. The woman testified Monday that she complied because she though it would make the assault end faster. Jackson raped her and then chased her down inside the house when she ran toward the front door in an attempt to escape him.

Jackson strangled her until she passed out and raped her again. He also punched her in the head and arms throughout the assault. Jackson forced her to lie on an inflated mattress until he fell asleep.

Once he was asleep, the victim fled, naked, out of the house and encountered several neighbors who helped her by giving her a towel, taking her into their home, and calling the police. Officers arrested Jackson a short time later in the vacant house.

The jury recommended the defendant be sentenced to life in prison each on two counts of rape and one count of abduction with the intent to defile. They also recommended he be sentenced to eight years in prison for strangulation and unlawful wounding. Judge Timothy Fisher, who presided over the trial, will formally impose sentence on Jan. 5, 2018.